Stop Depression From Ruling Your LifeCounselling can identify the cause of depression and build a roadmap to healing your pain.
Everyone occasionally feels sad or depressed. Often these feelings subside in a few days. For some people, however, these feelings can linger for weeks, months or even longer. For these people there is a strong possibility they are experiencing depression.
Fortunately, there are many therapies that can alleviate the symptoms and causes of depression. We work to identify the cause of your depression and tailor a plan designed to address your unique circumstance. Together, we will work towards alleviating your pain and and work towards creating the life you desire.
Signs and Symptoms of Depression
According to the National Institute of Mental Health, symptoms of depression may include the following:
- Difficulty concentrating, remembering details, and making decisions
- Fatigue and decreased energy
- Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, and/or helplessness
- Feelings of hopelessness and/or pessimism
- Insomnia, early-morning wakefulness, or excessive sleeping
- Irritability, restlessness
- Loss of interest in activities or hobbies once pleasurable, including sex
- Overeating or appetite loss.
- Persistent aches or pains, headaches, cramps, or digestive problems that do not ease even with treatment.
- Persistent sad, anxious, or “empty” feelings.
- Thoughts of suicide, suicide attempts.
Other Illnesses Linked to DepressionThere other illnesses linked to depression. They can cause depression, appear before depression develops or be the consequence of outcome of depression. These illnesses can include any of the following:
Depression & Suicide
Depression carries a serious risk of suicide. Thoughts or statements about suicide should always be taken seriously and not ignored. If you or someone you know is thinking or talking about suicide, contact your nearest suicide prevention hotline: 1-800-SUICIDE (784-2433) or call 911.
What are the Warning Signs of Depression with Suicide?The signs and symptoms of suicide can vary by frequency and severity. However, any signs should be taken seriously and can include:
- Talking or thinking about death, suicide or killing oneself
- Losing interest in those things one used to love or care about
- Statements about being worthless, helpless or hopeless or that “things would be better if I wasn’t here”
- Tempting fate by taking risks that could cause death such as driving recklessly or having a death wish
- A clinical depression that gets worse. Signs include: loss of interest, deep sadness, trouble eating and sleeping
- Suddenly changing from being very sad to appearing calm or happy
- Putting one’s affairs in order, preparing or changing a will, visiting people one cares about, etc.
What should you do if you or Someone you know is in Crisis?
- If you or someone you know is in crisis seek assistance immediately
- If you are in crisis, do not isolate yourself. Contact a friend, relative or your doctor immediately
- If your friend is in crisis, do not leave them alone
- Call 911 or go to a hospital emergency room for immediate help. You can also ask a friend or family member to do this for you
- Call the suicide prevention hotline: 1-800-SUICIDE (784-2433)
Treatment for Depression
Depression can be treated and even those with severe illness can get better.
Untreated depression can worsen and increase the risk for substance abuse, suicide and heart disease.
If you or someone you know is suffering from depression, it is important to seek treatment as soon as possible. First, contact their/your family doctor for an appointment and assessment. Then, once your medical evaluation has been completed, give me a call. Depression is treatable, there is hope.
Start living the life you want and deserve.
Depression Counselling Services in Vancouver
We are a team of Psychotherapists and Registered Clinical Counsellors who specializes in depression. Don’t suffer needlessly Contact us at our Vancouver counselling office to find out how we can help you.
Stop Depression From Ruling Your Life
Start building the roadmap to healing your pain and finding inner peace
FREE Phone Consultation. Call TODAY