What Is Counselling And Therapy ?
Counselling is a broad term and varies depending upon the training, skills and personalities of the Counsellor, and the client. Additionally, the approach depends upon the particular needs or concerns that the client brings to each session. Counselling also requires an active effort on the part of the client. In order for counselling to be successful, you will have to work on things we talk about both during our sessions and at home. Counselling is a personal exploration and may lead to major changes in your life perspectives and decisions. Together we will work to achieve the best possible results for you. If you have any questions about my procedures and approaches, we can discuss them as they arise.
The Many Benefits of Counselling and Therapy
There are many benefits and challenges to counselling. Though it often involves discussing unpleasant aspects of your life, where you may experience uncomfortable feelings like sadness, guilt, shame, anger, frustration, loneliness, and helplessness, counselling can also lead to improved quality of life, better relationships, improved performance, strengthened self-esteem as well as solutions to specific problems.
The Nature of Counselling and Therapy:
Therapy can take many different possible forms. I approach it from an integrative perspective using modalities such as:
- Client-Centered Therapy
- Psychodynamic Therapy
- Ego State
- Structural Family Therapy (FST)
- Internal Family Systems Therapy (IFS)
- Narrative Therapy
- Cognitive Behavioral (EMDR & DBT)
- Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP)
- Solution-Focused/Brief Therapy
Depending Upon Your Needs, Techniques Can Include:
- Active listening
- Identifying Irrational/Rational Beliefs
- Parts Identification and Integration
- Psycho-educational discussions
- Empty chair
- Creative therapies
We All Need Help At Some Point
We believe that clients have the capacity and resilience to resolve their own problems and make their own decisions. However, from time to time all of us need assistance, support, and direction. We hope working with us serves your needs to connect better to yourself and others, and to connect to your own capacity to change your experience.
We encourage you to be open and honest with yourself. Allow for times when things might not be so comfortable. These are your greatest moments for growth. And know, we will be there for you, holding your sacred and safe place.
Why Seek Counselling and Therapy?
You may seek counselling because you are in pain or in crisis or have an important decision to make or goal to reach and you need an unbiased, professional sounding board in order to make a clear decision.
Some people suffer from one of a host of symptoms such as depression, high anxiety, abuse, trauma, high anxiety, phobias, and addictions. These problems can seriously interfere with leading an enjoyable, fulfilling life and may result in mood changes, severe mental turmoil, insomnia, loss of appetite, irritability, rage, violence, isolation, sexual dysfunction, self-esteem, severe mental turmoil and self-defeating, destructive behaviors.
Often people find comfort in seeking the help of a professional counselor or therapist as they face typical life transitions and changes in areas such as career, marriage, relationships, work, retirement, parenthood, accidents, serious illness, grief, loss, and bereavement. Whatever the challenge facing you, professional counselling and therapy can help!
When is Counselling and Therapy Helpful?
Many people seek counselling and therapy for a variety of reasons. Whether a client needs help with a crisis or simply to make an important life’s decisions, a professional, licensed counsellor can help with a range of life’s challenges including:
- To help find a new perspective
- Learn new skills to deal with life’s challenges
- Manage a crisis
- Parents needing help with youth and teens in crisis
- Aid in personal development
- Part of a well-balanced health care management strategy
- Emotional fitness
- Life or success coach to learn strategies to excel and succeed in life, relationships, and career
- Many professionals seek help with their career path, couples seek help developing relationship skills
Anyone Can Benefit from Therapy
We facilitate the following to help others move away from obstacles and challenges towards preferred resolutions:
- At risk teens and youth
How Counselling and Therapy Can Help You?
Making it through the door is not an easy step for many clients. Engaging in counselling takes a lot of courage and provides you with the opportunity to discover much about yourself and address issues that may be challenging you or holding you back.
Do Any of the Following Sound True for You:
- Do you feel “stuck”?
- Are you feeling overwhelmed by your life?
- Is depression, anxiety, isolation or addiction interfering with our life, career and relationships?
- Are you at the point that you don’t feel you can’t take it anymore?
- Would you like to learn new skills for career and relationship?
- Are you facing an important decisions?
- Are you stressed?
- Are you at a loss?
Are You Challenged by Any of the Following:
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Communication issues
- Guilt and shame
- Attachment issues
- Grief and loss
- Addictions (drugs, prescription meds, alcohol, sex, gambling, food, videos, etc.)
- Alcohol and substance abuse
- Low self-esteem
- Eating disorders
- Problems with body image
- Anger issues
- Loss and grief
- Eating disorders
- Sexual abuse
- Relationship issues
- Relationship problems
- Career Change
- Job Loss
- Financial issues
- Relationship affairs
- Problems with your identity
- Compelling thoughts
- Unhealthy sexual behaviors
We all need help at some time in our lives. A counsellor or therapist is an unbiased, non-judgemental, skilled professional who can help you deal with life’s challenges and cultivate the life you want. Counselling can help. Contact us at our Vancouver Counselling office for more information.
Experience the Life You Want & Deserve